By Nada daVeiga
Macy’s. NastyGal. The Limited. BCBG. No, that’s not a shopping itinerary. These stores are just a short list of the major retailers that soon will be closing hundreds of stores. Some are declaring bankruptcy. Why? In conjunction with the massive shift to online shopping, retailers have trained consumers to shop only when merchandise is “on sale.”
Why pay retail for Workday integrations?
It’s still a bit of a mystery, then, why many enterprises will pay “full retail” to integrate their applications. Let’s take Workday applications, for example. Workday HCM and Workday Financial Management are rapidly gaining traction as enterprise systems of record; thousands of companies are choosing these apps to help drive digital transformation, and to move with more speed and agility.
However, enterprises are often challenged to implement Workday quickly and cost-effectively. Associated migration, integration, and implementation services typically cost up to two and a half times of the Workday software cost* due to:
- Customization: Most enterprises require at least 12 weeks to tailor core Workday software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications to their business processes and needs; integration with other enterprise applications is a separate, additional implementation phase.
- Complexity of Workday integration offerings: In addition to third-party products such as Informatica PowerCenter, multiple integration solutions are available from Workday. Depending on requirements, enterprises need to work with one or more Workday integration tools:
Workday Integration Cloud Connect provides pre-built integrations to common applications and service providers that extend Workday’s functionality. These include Human Capital Management, Payroll, Payroll interface, Financial Management and Spend Management.
While Workday Cloud Connect has “pre-built” integrations, mapping, changing and customizing them is still labor- and consulting-intensive.
Workday Enterprise Interface Builders (EIB) enable simple integrations with Workday, i.e., importing data into Workday from a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet for tasks such as hiring a group of employees or requesting mass compensation changes. Users can also create outbound exports of data from Workday to Excel spreadsheet.
However, this feature does not have native integration with Microsoft Active Directory, so employee on- and off-boarding can only be accomplished via manually intensive EIBs.
Workday Studio is a desktop-based integrated development environment used to create complex hosted integrations, including Workday Studio Custom Integrations, the most advanced.
The Workday Studio development environment, while powerful, is complex, consulting-heavy and costly to use.
- Workday Web Services gives customers a programmatic public API for On-Demand Workday Business Management Services.
- Reliance on external resources: Across industries and geographies, Workday consultants and programmers are scarce and expensive.
- Time-intensive manual integrations: Many Workday integrations are built manually and must be individually maintained, incurring “technical debt” that robs resources from future IT initiatives.
SnapLogic can reduce the cost of Workday integrations by 90%
The SnapLogic Enterprise Integration Cloud uniquely enhances Workday HCM and Workday Financials with a built-for-the-cloud, easy to use solution optimized for both IT and business users. The building blocks of the Enterprise Integration Cloud, SnapLogic Workday Snaps, are pre-built connectors that abstract the entire Workday API visually, allowing data and processes to be quickly integrated using pre-built patterns. With SnapLogic’s Enterprise Integration Cloud, companies can use a visual tool to automate HR and financial processes between Workday applications, cloud point solutions and legacy systems.
The SnapLogic Enterprise Integration Cloud greatly increases the flexibility of HR and Financial processes, and eases the pain of adding or retiring applications, thus enabling teams to focus on more strategic business priorities. These benefits allow both IT users and “citizen integrators” to execute Workday integrations, without reliance on IT.
Attention shoppers: SnapLogic delivers
Faster time to value: Workday integrations can be done in days, not months.
- Dramatically lower cost: Using the SnapLogic Enterprise Integration Cloud can reduce the time and cost of Workday integrations by up to 90%.*
- No programming or maintenance required: SnapLogic’s visual orientation doesn’t require specialized consultants or Java/XML programmers to build or maintain labor-intensive, manual integrations.
Find out how SnapLogic can drive down the cost of your organization’s Workday integrations, while enabling new agility. Download the new white paper, “Cause and effect: How rapid Workday integration drives digital transformation.”
Nada daVeiga is VP Worldwide Pre-Sales, Customer Success, and Professional Services at SnapLogic. Follow her on Twitter @nrdaveiga.
*Savings calculated on the average cost of Workday integrations: service fees of 2.5x of the Workday license fee. Source: Workday Analyst Day, 2016.