Enterprise iPaaS and API Management
It’s been said we have entered “the API Economy.” As our partner 3scale describes it: “As web-enabled software becomes the standard for business processes, the ways organizations, partners and customers interface with it have become a critical differentiator in the market place.”
In this post I’ll summarize SnapLogic’s native API management capabilities and introduce the best-in-class partnerships we announced today with 3scale and Restlet to extend the cloud and big data integration capabilities that SnapLogic’s Elastic Integration Platform delivers. In the next set of posts, we’ll provide a deeper overview of our API Management partners.
Exposing SnapLogic Pipelines as APIs
SnapLogic’s unified integration platform as a service (iPaaS) allows citizen integrators and developers to build multi-point integration pipelines that connect cloud and on-premises applications as well as disparate enterprise data sources for big data analytics, and expose them as RESTful APIs. These APIs can be invoked by any authorized user, application, web backend or mobile app through a simple and standardized HTTP call, in order to trigger the execution of the SnapLogic pipeline. Here are two options for exposing SnapLogic pipelines as Tasks:
- Triggered Tasks: Each Task exposes a cloud URL and, if it is to be executed on an on-premises Snaplex (aka Groundplex), then it may have also have an on-premises URL. These dataflow pipelines may be invoked using REST GET/POST, passing parameters and optionally a payload in and out. These pipelines use SnapLogic’s standard HTTP basic auth authorization scheme.
- Ultra Pipelines: These Tasks are “always on”, where the pipeline is memory-resident, ready to process incoming requests with millisecond-level invocation overhead. Ultra Pipelines are ideal for real-time integration processing. In terms of authentication, Ultra Pipelines may be assigned a “bearer token,” which is an arbitrary string that must be passed in the invoking HTTP/s request in the HTTP headers. The token is optional, allowing customers to invoke a pipeline with no authentication, which may be appropriate on internal trusted networks.
SnapLogic Platform APIs
SnapLogic also provides an expanding set of APIs for customer systems to interact with our elastic iPaaS. Examples include:
- User and Group APIs: Programmatically manage and automate the creation of SnapLogic users and groups.
- Pipeline Monitoring APIs: Determine pipeline execution status. A common use case is when you are using external enterprise schedulers to monitor your pipelines.
SnapLogic Snaps Consuming Application APIs
SnapLogic Snaps are the intelligent introspecting, dynamic connectors that provide the building blocks for pipelines. Snaps may interface to applications utilizing the APIs provided by the applications. As the application’s APIs evolve, SnapLogic takes care of keeping the Snaps up to date, allowing our customers take care of the business of their business, not the business of API-level integration.
SnapLogic provides a comprehensive set of 300+ pre-built Snaps, but no collection of connectors will ever be complete. To deal with the expanding cloud and on-premises application and data integration needs of our customers, SnapLogic provides an SDK for customers and partners to be able to create their own Snaps, addressing custom endpoints, or custom transformations.
Best in Class API Management Partnerships
From API authoring and authentication to governance and reporting to protocol translation, our enterprise ISV partners extend SnapLogic’s cloud and big data integration capabilities with best-in-class API Management capabilities. From our partners:
“Making it easy to share digital assets is at the core of what we do. Being able to offer our customers this seamless way to expose their data and application and integration pipelines as RESTful APIs is another way to make that happen.”
– Manfred Bortenschlager, API Market Development Director at 3scale
“With over 300 pre-built connectors available in SnapLogic’s Elastic Integration Platform, this partnership enables virtually any data sources, from legacy to cloud, big data and social platforms, to be exposed as RESTful APIs.”
– Jerome Louvel, Chief Geek and founder at Restlet
Read the press releases to learn more about our API Management partners and Contact Us for more information: